The Australian Water Association’s South Australian Water Awards are the SA water industry’s highest accolades.
Established in 1996 to recognise and celebrate outstanding contributions to the South Australian water industry, the Awards acknowledge the sector’s “best of the best”, shining a spotlight on exceptional achievements across the state in a range of organizational and individual categories.
Each year the number of entries grows, as do the number of attendees at the annual SA Gala Dinner and Awards Night, where the winners are announced.
This high-profile industry endorsement brings finalists and winners widespread recognition of individual and organizational achievements; generates PR and media opportunities; creates a point of difference from competitors; and generates team and corporate pride.
2018 SA Water Awards - Finalists Announced
We are excited to share with you the 2018 SA Water Award Finalists. Winners will announced at the SA Gala Dinner & Awards Night on Friday 23 November 2018.
Research Innovation Award
- SA Water – Challenging biosolids storage times without impacting stabilisation grade requirements for more sustainable industry and customer outcomes
- SA Water and the Advanced Water Management Centre - The University of Queensland – Combating greenhouse gas emissions from wastewater systems: from quantification to implementation
- SA Water – Infectivity rates of Cryptosporidium, and its impact on drinking water quality risk assessments
- SA Water – Understanding, assessing, and influencing customer perceptions of drinking water quality – Water Research Australia project 1076
- Allwater and SA Water – Dynamic Dashboard: Unlocking the Power of Employee Engagement
Program Innovation Award (sponsored by SA Water)
- Allwater, SA Water and SUEZ – Proactive Dirty Water Complaints Management in Adelaide Drinking Water Network
- SA Water – System Planning Tool Program
Infrastructure Project Innovation Award (sponsored by the Water Industry Alliance)
- Stantec and SA Water – Enhanced Water Demand Forecasting for SA Water using Machine Learning
- Zero Mass Water – Kangaroo Island SOURCE Water Project
- Tonkin Consulting – Sunlands Pipeline Replacement Project
Student Water Prize – Hodgson Medal
- Nazila Hekmati, University of South Australia – Relationship Between Environmental Factors and Burst Water Mains in Adelaide
- Andrew Knight, Flinders University – The Onshore Influence of Offshore Fresh Groundwater
- Ben Thwaites, University of NSW and Water Research Australia – Optimisation of Aerobic Granular Sludge for Energy Efficient Wastewater Treatment and Reuse
- Adam Tomlinson, University of Adelaide and Water Research Australia – The Role of Phytoplankton as Pre-cursors for Disinfection By-product Formation upon Chlorination
- Meena Yadav, University of South Australia – Drug Problem? Tracking the Fate of Illicit Drugs Through Wastewater Treatment Processes
Young Water Professional of the Year (sponsored by TRILITY)
- Julien Anese, Centralised Systems Support Manager, Allwater
- Adele Hay, Civil Engineer, Water, WSP
- Kelly Hill, Research Program Coordinator, Water Research Australia
- Boris Ninkovic, Program Manager, Fulton Hogan
Premier’s Medal - Water Professional of the Year (sponsored by the Department for Environment and Water)
Winner to be announced on the night
2019 SA Water Awards - Open June 2019
To recognise an outstanding contribution to the SA water industry, nominate yourself, your organisation, a colleague, or student, for a 2019 South Australian Water Award by clicking on the links below.
Nomination for the Premier’s Medal must be made by a current member of the Association’s SA Branch Committee, via the online form.
The Premier's Water Medal/ South Australian Water Professional of the Year
- Each year the Association’s SA Branch Committee nominates eminent individuals to be considered for the Premier’s Water Medal.
- The Medal recognises outstanding individual contribution to the South Australian water industry, or management and conservation of water in the state.
- To be eligible for the Premiers Water Medal the individual must be a Professional Member of the Association, or an employee of a Corporate Member, have been based in SA for a number of years, have made a significant contribution to the state and/or national and/or international water industry, have an excellent reputation within SA, in other States of Australia and/or internationally for substantial contribution and commitment over an extended period to the social, economic and environmental sustainability of the community of South Australia.
- The winner will represent South Australia as a finalist for the Water Professional of the Year at the Australian Water Awards, held at Ozwater 7-9 May 2019
All Awards, aside from the Student awards, are open to Australian Water Association members only. To download the Conditions of Entry click here.
A judging panel will be formed by the Australian Water Association SA Branch Committee, consisting of industry experts. Short-listed entrants will be required to give an oral presentation to the judges for final consideration.
In addition to your written award submission, you will be required to make a short presentation in person to the SA Awards Judging Panel at the 2019 South Australian Water Awards Presentation Day.
Organisational Awards are exclusive to AWA Corporate Members.
Where there are multiple partners in an award submission, some who are members and some who are not, the submission is eligible for entry. However marketing and publicity arising from the entry, inclusion as a finalist, and the award, will be limited to AWA Corporate Members.
If you have an award-worthy project, but are not a member, or if you are a non-member partner in a submission, please contact our SA Branch Manger, Cat Murtagh, at firstname.lastname@example.org
to discuss membership benefits.
Frequently asked questions
To download the Awards FAQs, click here.
Thought Leadership Partner
2017 SA Award winners
Program Innovation Award
Adelaide Services Alliance Advanced Customer Complaint Mapping Program – Allwater and SA Water
Research Innovation Award
ATUM: Advanced Tertiary Ultrafiltration Management – Allwater, SA Water and SUEZ
Infrastructure Project Innovation Award
Sundrop Farms Project – John Holland Group
The Hodgson Medal: Student Water Prize
Smart Monitoring for Microbial Risk Assessment – Sarah Aucote, Flinders University
Young Water Professional of the Year Award
Adam Medlock, Operations Manager, Riverland Region, TRILITY
The Premier's Water Medal: Water Professional of the Year Award
Richard Hopkins, Chief Executive, International Centre of Excellence in Water Resources Management (ICE WaRM)
For more information about the winners and their winning projects, see the below media release.
SA Water Awards winners announced
Thanks to our sponsors:
For queries about the SA Awards please contact:
P: 0439 893 304 E: CMurtagh@awa.asn.au
SA Awards Honour Roll
Click here here to see a list of past winners and finalists.