Tasmanian Water Environment Merit Awards (TWEMA)
The Tasmanian Water Environment Merit Award (TWEMA) is awarded by the Tasmanian branch of the Australian Water Association for a project, initiative, product or service which has achieved outstanding management or development of water resources on a sustainable basis in Tasmania in the past three to four years.
The Award will again be presented in 2017. Do you have a project in progress or completed that meets the criteria? The Tasmanian Branch encourages you to consider applying for this prestigious award. The 2017 Award will be launched at Where the Waters Meet on Thursday 18 August 2016 and presented at Where the Waters Meets 2017.
Download the flyer
Applications close 7 July 2017.
The winner will be entered in to the AWA National Awards program under the Program Innovation Award category.
• Initiative is innovative, unique or have other outstanding features which sets it apart from common practice among comparable programs
• Project has relevance to the Australian water industry
• Demonstrated or strongly anticipated environmental and/or water resource benefits as a result of the nominated initiative
• Demonstrated or strongly anticipated social benefits as a result of the nominated initiative
• Initiative incorporates sustainable design principles - social, economic, environmental
- 1997 - Henty Gold Mine: Environmental safeguards when mining on a commercial scale.
- 2001 - Rice Grass Association: Restoration of estuarine environments by removing an introduced species.
- 2003 - Dept of Primary Industry, Water & Environment, Water Resources Division: Establishing an exceptional data base for river health on a state-wide basis.
- 2006 - Greening Australia: Environmental and educational benefits to many catchments and farms of the Northern Riparian project.
- 2011 – Hydro Tasmania: Sustainable Low Lake Management in Hydro Tasmania’s Lakes
- 2013 – Pitt & Sherry: Lower George River Floodplain Risk Management Plan
- 2015 – GHD / Nyrstar: Integrated Water Management Project at Nyrstar, Hobart
Young Water Professional of the Year Award (Gary Ingram Memorial Award)
First awarded in 2012, the award is named in honour of Gary Ingram, a valued Committee Member of the Australian Water Association – Tasmania’s Branch. Along with a keen involvement in membership and policy, Gary was instrumental in introducing the Galah Debate concept to the Association. In recognition of Gary’s commitment to the water sector the Tasmanian Young Water Professional of the Year Award has named and is presented in his memory. The Award is presented annually at the Galah Dinner & Debate
Winners of the Young Water Professional of the Year Award:
- 2012 – Andy Crawford
- 2013 – Elizabeth Hickman
- 2014 – Daniel Ford
- 2015 - Cameron Jessup
The Tasmanian 2017 YWP Award is now open and will be presented at the Galah Dinner & Debate on Thursday 30 November 2017. Submissions close 5 October 2017
If you have any queries about TWEMA please contact:
T 0438 246 400
PO Box 259
North Hobart TAS 7002