Mentoring has been identified as an important influence in professional development and as an effective way to develop skills via the transfer of knowledge from an experienced senior member to a less experienced member.
How does the YWP mentoring program help?
The AWA YWP mentoring program is a great opportunity for young people in the water industry to gain advice and develop new relationships and skills from industry leaders outside their current organisation. On the flip side, this program offers senior staff the chance to develop skills in coaching and inspiring young people from across the water industry, while taking the opportunity to develop new relationships within the water industry.
How does the Mentor Program work?
1. Before the launch event, you will be asked to answer a few questions for us to help understand how best the program can help you. This information will be shared with mentors/mentees to assist in the matching process. Please ensure you do not include any sensitive career information that you do not wish to have shared.
2. At the launch event on Wednesday 6 June, you will meet with a range of different water industry professionals who have registered to be in the program. This allows you to meet with potential mentors or mentees before being paired.
3. After the event, a special matching process will take place that guarantees each attendee will be matched with a mentor/mentee.
4. Mentee and Mentor pairs will agree on how often you will meet and be in contact – AWA will send out information on occasion to help spark discussion points or ideas. The program runs for one year but your relationship doesn’t have to end there, some mentoring relationships last a lifetime!
Do I need any special training to be a mentor?
No, you just need to be an experienced water professional willing to provide guidance and leadership to an assigned mentee. AWA will provide the introductory session, the materials you’ll need for the one year program and somebody to speak to should you need to.
For more information about the mentee and mentor roles please download our information guides - Mentee Guide and Mentor Guide.
To register your interest in joining the mentoring program please fill out the online form.
Date: Wednesday 6 June 2018
Time: 5 PM arrival for 5:30 PM start to 7:30 PM
Location: Department of Water and Environmental Regulation, Level 6, 168 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000
AWA Professional and Students Members Mentees: $50
AWA Member and Non-Member Mentors: FREE
The AWA Mentoring Program is exclusive to AWA members for mentees, If you are not an AWA member and would like to join the association or find out more information click here.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE LAUNCH EVENT
- Click the Sign In button on the top right hand corner of this page or create an account (for new users only)
- Once signed in, click the "Register Myself" button. You can also register others.
- Select the correct registration type
- Proceed to the checkout for payment
If you have any technical difficulties with your registration please take a screen shot and email to Kyllie Whitehead, WA Branch Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0448 146 222.
Thank you to our venue partner: