The Australian Water Association (AWA) is an organisation that is, by nature, personal information-intensive. We rely on comprehensive and accurate personal information about our members and other people with whom we deal. We collect information from members and non-members so that we can provide you with our services, manage our relationship with you, communicate with you effectively and identify which of our services will best suit your needs. We have robust systems and procedures in place to protect your privacy whenever we collect, store, use or disclose your personal information.
What kind of personal information do we collect?
Personal information, including sensitive information, that the Australian Water Association collects and holds includes, but is not limited to:
- Members' official and preferred names, titles, post-nominals, personal awards, address, telephone, e-mail and facsimile contact details (private and business), date of birth, gender.
- Members' qualifications, education and academic history, work experience and skills, occupation, employer information, insurance details, areas of practice, areas of interest, details of complaints and disciplinary action.
- Financial details including credit card numbers, bank account information, financial status of membership, and subscriptions to Australian Water Association publications.
- Information required to nominate members for awards.
- Information from persons who participate in AWA sponsored seminars, conferences or other events and programs.
How we collect your personal information
We collect most personal information direct from you, for example, when you fill in an application for membership. Information may also be collected direct from you when you deal with us personally, over the telephone, send a letter, or visit the web site.
There may be occasions when a third party provides information about you, such as when you are nominated for an award.
We also collect information about members and non-members who register for Australian Water Association events, seminars and conferences.
How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information to provide you with a particular product or service and to contact you about matters pertaining to membership of AWA. This includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Providing membership services such as E-newsletters, Water Journal, Water Directory, and other member benefits.
- Inviting you to partake in events, technical seminars, professional development activities and networking activities.
- Contacting board/ panel and committee members to distribute business papers.
We may use your personal information for purposes related or ancillary to the main reason we collect it, such as:
- Internal accounting and administration.
- Regulatory reporting and compliance.
- Helping us to identify and inform you about other services that may be of benefit to you
As a not-for-profit organisation, the Australian Water Association needs to enter into sponsorship arrangements with third parties from time to time. This allows us to keep membership fees at a low level, and to provide a greater range of services. When we enter a sponsorship agreement, we may use your personal information to provide you with information about products, services and promotions offered by our sponsors.
Disclosure of your personal information
We disclose a member's mailing details (i.e. name and address) to mailing houses for the purpose of mailing publications, event information etc. In these situations, we prohibit the third parties from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
We treat all personal information held about you as confidential. This applies except where disclosure of your personal information is compelled by law, in the public interest, or with your consent.
Accuracy of your personal information
If we have accurate personal information about you, it enables us to provide you with the best possible service. We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date whenever we collect or use it.
If you find that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us immediately. Alternatively, you may correct this yourself logging in to the website.
Security of your personal information
The Australian Water Association protects any personal information that we hold about you from misuse and loss. We protect your privacy by restricting access to your personal information to those staff or authorised office bearers who need it, either to process information or to provide you with membership services. Our staff and office bearers are responsible for handling personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Your personal information may be stored as hardcopy documents, or as electronic data. We maintain physical security over our paper and electronic data stores and premises. We also maintain computer and network security. For example, we use firewalls (security measures for the Internet) and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems.
The Australian Water Association will keep your information for as long as it is needed to provide you with the products and services you have requested from us. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it.
Our online applications available to members from the website undergo extensive security testing by external professional companies to ensure your data is protected to the highest level against potential hacking. All data transmitted between web browsers and our online applications are protected by encryption.