Water Industry Safety Excellence Award
Proudly Sponsored by WSAA
Acknowledging outstanding initiative and team contributions in considering and playing an active part in the area of safety improvement and injury prevention across the entire water industry.
Complete the Nomination Form
This award is open to any Australian Corporate AWA Member.
Entry to this award is at a National level. Nominations close 26 February 2021.
- Established a process to identify the root cause of the problem, to consider the protection of the team and community, to trial and develop the solution and the extent of consultation with the key stakeholders
- To what extent has the solution achieved the maximum hierarchy of control?
- Originality: is this an entirely new concept and what was the contribution to others?
- Health and safety benefits achieved by the initiative, including the improvements in organisational health and safety performance
- Potential for broader application across the water industry and other industry
- Bonus points: Other benefits beyond safety achieved eg environmental, community, etc
When completing the online nomination form
you will be asked to answer the following:
- Provide a brief overview of the safety initiative (up to 200 words)
- Outline what the safety issue is/was and the process to establish the root cause (up to 150 words)
- State the assessment of the hierarchy of control and how the highest feasible level of control was adopted (up to 200 words)
- Describe the process established to trial and develop the solution (up to 150 words)
- To what extent were key stakeholders consulted about the chosen process (up to 200 words)
- Is this initiative an original concept? How did others contribute to the development? (up to 200 words)
- Describe the health and safety benefits achieved by the initiative, including the improvements in organisational or team health and safety performance (up to 250 words)
- Can this initiative be transferred more broadly? If yes, how? (up to 200 words)
- Please upload:
- Lead-organisation bio
- Hi-resolution photos x 3
- It is recommend that as part of the award submission you provide a 3-minute video overview of your project. This video will be used for promotional purposes, should your project be shortlisted as a finalist. We recomend hosting your video as an unlisted link on YouTube or Vimeo. (not required)
- Please provide a short promotional blurb about the initiative to be used should it be selected as a finalist, to promote the initiative and to be used at the awards presentation event. (50 words)
Note: National Finalists will asked to prepare a three-minute video overview of their project for promotional purposes (if not already provided with the inital award submission).
2020 Winner – Australian Water Industry Safety Excellence Award
Ventia’s Mechanical and Electrical Contract to Yarra Valley Water, Ventia
Ventia’s Mechanical and Electrical team working on Yarra Valley Water’s network has successfully implemented a new, safer procedure for upgrading tertiary filter media at wastewater plants. This innovative approach greatly reduces dust suppression as well as eliminating the risks previously associated with completing the task, including working at heights and in a confined space.